Friday, June 15, 2007

Confounded immigration issue

I don't know where to stand or whom to listen to on the issue of illegal immigration in this country. 95% of the effluent that reaches me from Washington or that flows my way on television news programs makes be believe we are a nation led and fed by sycophants and idiots. Past personal experience working summers in agriculture in Northern California tells me that illegal aliens, if forgiven the offense by which they earn their label, can be as hard-working and honest as any citizen. But my gut tells me the United States simply can't absorb tens of millions of people, most of whom are already marginalized economically, if for no other reason than for the impacts these people may have on the looming disasters that are social security and health care.

I've read widely over the web on this issue, and the only person whose opinions I tend to agree with more often that not is Lou Dobbs, a syndicated columnist whose work appears on cnn.com. Here's a snippet from his June 13th Commentary, titled "Give it a rest, Mr. President." Pointed -- perhaps even a touch of hyperbole -- but let me know if you agree or disagree:
In what other country would citizens be treated to the spectacle of the president and the Senate focusing on the desires of 12 million to 20 million people who had crossed the nation's borders illegally, committed document fraud, and in many cases identity theft, overstayed their visas and demanded, not asked, full forgiveness for their trespasses?

Illegal aliens and their advocates, both liberal and conservative, possess such an overwhelming sense of entitlement that they demand not only legal status, but also that the government leave the borders wide open so that other illegals could follow as well, while offering not so much as an "I'm sorry" or a "Thank you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home