Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Why Blog?

Damned good question: Why join the sycophantic ranks in a medium rife with idiots and windbags when I can just as easily enjoy the pleasure of my own stupidity in the privacy of, say, a hardbound journal? The larger, rhetorical question may be: Why does the ego require that one expose one's intellectual shortcomings to the world? The answer, we all know, has to do with cheese.

Turns out an ever-thickening, variegated wheel of cheese is the nexus upon which Civilization revolves, and though we are treated to the occasional morsel of Havarti or Asiago courtesy of a Michelangelo, da Vinci, Swift, Milton, Austen, Keats, Peake, et al., the mass is mere effluent, the Limburger that you and I spew forth in the bleating hope that someone will be moved by what we write, speak, paint, sculpt or imagine.

The late great Pope John Paul II recognized this when he revealed to visiting cardinals weeks before his passing that, "Had God Himself not called me to the Church, and to Papacy, I would very much have liked to try my hand as a cheesemonger or, failing that, as a producer of adult films, but that is not why I called you here...."

And so it is that great and small alike go about the daily business of thickening the cheese, and herein you will find my little slice of Limburger....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark. Great site, very concise and not too much of yourself or anything. It makes me miss SV and Palo Alto. I left in 1994. I actually came to your site looking for the "other" Mark Drury who used to work for Apple and is now in MA somplace. He's about your age or maybe a year or two older. A graphic designer by trade.

Anyway, greetings from an American in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home